Sunday, November 25, 2007

A weekend of thanks

If I were to write in detail all that I am thankful for it would be an exhaustive post. Maybe someday.

On the flight from Minneapolis to Albuquerque Friday there was a young soldier in uniform going home from Iraq who was seated up in first class.

Those of us surrounding her told her, "Thank you for your service to your country."

She replied politely but a bit nervously, "Thank you." She seemed like she didn't quite know what to say but apparently heard words of thanks before.

I pointed out to her that three decades ago or so it was very seldom that we heard a soldier, sailor, marine or airman thanked and the one time I heard it -- from a Delta agent in St. Louis -- it was music to my ears.

Because of the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform we are able to exercise our freedoms today. Think about it.

No comments: