Saturday, November 10, 2007

Going up in flames: Kenosha fire chief's plan to close fire stations

Rookie Kenosha Fire Chief John Thomsen's lame plan to close and relocate fire stations isn't sitting too well with at least one powerful alderman.

G. John Ruffolo -- chairman of the Public Works Committee -- is smoking hot over Thomsen's plan to close the northside fire station at 2615 14th Place -- and rightfully so after pointing out that neighborhood is growing. He also has some justifiable concerns about the $100,000 annual contract with the University of Wisconsin-Parkside for fire and rescue services.

Word on the street is that Thomsen -- a darn good firefighter, by the way -- is playing water boy for Mayor John Antaramian who pushed for westward expansion without adequate planning for public safety services. On top of that, the city closed the downtown fire station.

Now Thomsen is bellyaching about how he wants to "equalize response times" but this was never brought up when the downtown station was open. Close that station and, voila, you have a response time issue.

The only part of this hairbrain scheme that has any plausible merit is building a new fire station west of Interstate 94 -- and only if the city sits down with Pleasant Prairie to see if the two municipalities could work out some type of joint facility. Of course, the city isn't well known for fostering good intergovernmental relations or for being good stewards of taxpayer dollars.

6 comments:

Northside Nudi Supporter said...

Everybody knows that alderman ruffolo is "G. Johnny Come Lately" on this issue. The only reason he voted against the mayor on this is because his own seat is in jeopardy now that Ralph Nudi is gunning for his seat, The truth is that ruffolo almost always sides with the mayor and he has never done anything to make sure the north side has ambulance service now that there is no north side hospital. If voters had any sense they would see through his scheme and know his "anger" is politically motivated. It's time we had an alderman who looks out for us every day, and not just when someone is running against him!

A Ruffolo Supporter said...

Ald. Ruffolo was against this plan as far back as a year ago, long before he knew anything about Ralph Nudi. Ald. Ruffolo is protective of his District at every turn and has blocked many proposals that would have been bad for the northside, he just does not jump up and down for press attention everytime he does something. It seems as though Ralph Nudi based on his efforts of filling up the internet with his blogs so he can push his name down our throughts would use this office to do the same. Ralph Nudi has been bought and paid for by Jerry Kurth.

Ralph Nudi said...

WOW - would love to know who wrote those harsh words. I am assuming it is from someone who does not know me. For the record, I am not bought and paid for by ANY BODY. I am a father and honest businessman that wants to do right by my community and by my family. Perhaps you can contact me, and we can discuss this concern you have.

Ralph D. Nudi
www.VoteRalphNudi.com

Another Ruffolo supporter said...

According to the Kenosha News and donation records from 2 days ago, you most certainly were bought by Mr. Kurth.

Ben said...

A legal contribution of $250 hardly constitutes being bought and paid for....get your facts straight...

Ralph Nudi said...

Like it or not, political races cost money and require fund raising. The most any one supporter is allowed to give in an aldermanic race is $250.00. A private business owner has decided to participate in the political process. I have enough integrity to follow the rules, and disclose my donations as required by law. I also have enough integrity to make my own decisions when I hold office, regardless of whether or not I was supported by an individual. It is my opponent who has threatened the jobs of city employees and the liquor licenses of local business owners, just for supporting me in my bid for this PART TIME, VOLUNTEER POSITION in which I seek to SERVE the people of my district. The compensation for this position is less than $1,000 a month. So if I am seeking monetary gain... I would not be seeking this position in the first place. I am not afraid to say NO to the powerful of Kenosha, whether they support me or not. I won't hide behind made up vacations to avoid controversial votes such as the one regarding the WAL-MART in Kenosha. But I guess when on one side you have a sitting mayor who you want to curry favor with, and on the other side you have a wealthy local business man, it takes guts to stand up to one of them. I can promise that I wouldn't take the cowards way out and use a "business trip" to Chicago as an excuse. I would make an informed decision and have the guts to take a stand either way. I also am not afraid to blog using my real identity.