Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another reason why this newspaper isn't one of America's best

In the days just before the "no call" list kicked in I got a telephone call asking me if I wanted to subscribe to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

"No, thank you," I said.

The pleasant young woman who called as me why and I explained that the old Milwaukee Journal was once considered one of America's top ten daily newspapers and is not but a shadow of its former self.

"You're not the first person who told me that." the solicitor said.

Fast forward to today's Journal-Sentinel editorial which laments state government's growing debt load and calling on all the players to sit down and work out solutions.

The editorial is, of course, apt.

But the newspaper only talked about the problems and offered no concrete solutions. In so doing the Journal-Sentinel demonstated its own present mediocrity.

My mother used to say it's a good idea not to criticise someone or something unless you can simultaneously offer a better solution. She was right on target. Too bad the poo-bahs over at Journal Square aren't.

No comments: