Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Who are you going to vote for?"

My newly minted college freshman daughter laid that question on me a few minutes ago.

"I really don't know," I said.

"I really can't stand any of them."

"That's what a lot of people are saying," she said.

"What about Fred Thompson? I don't want him to win because he's like 65 and his wife is like two."

"I don't know enough about Fred Thompson but I didn't like the fact that he thinks he's too good to stand with the other Republican candidates and debate. As for his wife, I should have that problem," I said.

"I'm telling mom. What about Rudy?"

"I don't know about Rudy, either. He certainly has more testoserone and maybe that's what we need but there are some right-wing Republicans who don't think he's conservative enough for them."

"As for the Democrats, I once liked Bill Richardson but he now says he wants to steal Great Lakes water. Scratch him off the list."

"Obama just got elected to the Senate. In a few years I think his day may come but I also think it'll be Hillary and Barack for the Democrats next year."

"Hillary actually has qualifications -- maybe more so than Bill did -- but I worry about who will really be calling the shots with Bill back in the White House."

"I worry about that, too," she said.

Then she asked about the differences between Democrats and Republicans.

"Not much difference," I said.

"They all want to win and they'll lie and do anything to get there."

"For example, the Democrats scream about health care and education but when they were in the majority, they did nothing."

"The Republicans bellyache about lower taxes and less government but they've given us neither."

"So who are you doing to vote for?" she asked.

"How about 'none of the above.'"

1 comment:

Dad29 said...

"As for his wife, I should have that problem," I said.

"I'm telling mom"


PLease advise address of the funeral home so we can send posies.

Nice knowing you....